A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
GTX460 = Bad
February 7, 2011
1:26 am
OxBlade
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 174
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is just a warning post really.

If anyone was in any way possibly considering maybe getting a GTX 460, don’t.

They’re still being marketed as the best mid-range GPU (~$200) – 768MB/1GB DDR5 – but they are a plague. They work fine for a couple of weeks, then your computer will start randomly locking up, increasing in frequency and regardless of what you’re doing (sometimes even on the welcome screen).

Apparently the card has random compatability issues? nVidia haven’t issued a press release but there’s 23 pages of people on the nVidia forum with the same problems, across a range of motherboards etc. Quite a few random ones as well that work, but no explanation. There’s no solution yet, driver upgrades etc don’t help.

I’ve already returned one and my second (replacement) has now died as well so I’ll be attempting to return the second and trade for something else.

Any suggestions on the something else? Don’t really want to spend $$$$, something in the same ball park.

February 7, 2011
1:37 am
Omegamon
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 545

AMD 6870 – around $280….

and install BC2 on Jing’s computer for the time being Wink

February 7, 2011
3:24 am
Wizard of Sorrow
Admin
Forum Posts: 2383

… or a 6850 for $200.

Running a 460GTX myself. No issues though I do tend to get the annoying bc2 crash now and then. All other games fine.

Wouldn’t be suprised though as nVidia have been seriously struggling lately. Took forever to release the 400 series and the high modles all have heat issues.

February 7, 2011
11:30 am
Lowie
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 154

bloody nVidia! I had these problems with my last one and now I have the 460. FORTUNATELY I must be one of the lucky ones (for now) *knocks wood*.

I’ve had it for about aww…4 months or so now and it seems to be running fine.

Best of luck dude.

February 8, 2011
2:30 am
OxBlade
mOoshou Clan Member

I made 4 months on my original one and then it randomly died. Fingers crossed you mightn’t have any problems – WoS seems ok and Jing’s had hers for 7 months without a problem. I’ve had two in a row now though :-( tested the rest of the computer using a spare card and it’s fine, definitely the GTX460 which was the problem.

Contacted the supplier today, it’s going to be an interesting fight. They reckon they’ve sold 1000 with no returns apart from me, but suppliers on the nVidia forums saying they’ve had every second one returned.

I’m going to have to get the wife to teach me how to say ‘liar’ in chinese I think.

February 9, 2011
12:57 am
Omegamon
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 545

i’ve provided emails with links to forums with evidence in the past..

all else fails take your box in and show them first hand, if you have thick skin, flog it off on ebay…

February 9, 2011
1:24 am
OxBlade
mOoshou Clan Member

Yep sent them the nVidia forum link last night and taking the box in on saturday. Banking on a bit of shame factor, who’s going to buy from the stall if there’s a guy there complaining his computer is always broken?

Maybe I should just buy an ATI 6970 haha.

February 14, 2011
8:05 pm
Evi1twin
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 141

@OxBlade wrote:

Yep sent them the nVidia forum link last night and taking the box in on saturday. Banking on a bit of shame factor, who’s going to buy from the stall if there’s a guy there complaining his computer is always broken?

Why not? That’s what Liam and i are doing? Import from US while our dollar is BETTER than their’s. You want in on postage??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/…..llHelpful1

Get on it :evil:

February 14, 2011
8:08 pm
Evi1twin
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 141

Planning on pickin these up AND a shiny new Q9550 after the Liberty is fixed… weddings don’t cost much right?

February 14, 2011
9:07 pm
Wizard of Sorrow
Admin
Forum Posts: 2383

http://www.pccasegear.com/inde…..s_id=16300

The US is indeed good, but when you add the shocking postage costs, it’s cheaper to buy from Australia for most comp equipment at the mo.

February 14, 2011
10:08 pm
OxBlade
mOoshou Clan Member

@Evi1twin wrote:

@OxBlade wrote:

Why not? That’s what Liam and i are doing? Import from US while our dollar is BETTER than their’s. You want in on postage??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/…..llHelpful1

Get on it :evil:

Depends on how much the postage is. Experience is that it’s usually not cheap (ps neither are weddings).

I’ll probably get one here, once the vendor confirms my card is blown I’m negotiating for a new one, so if I want a 6970 I’ll get $200 off the price.

February 27, 2011
11:23 pm
OxBlade
mOoshou Clan Member

In case anyone is interested – got a refund and changed over to a AMD 6870. Easy swap, few minor driver issues (had a couple of reinstalls) but otherwise runs sweet as. Re-ran my benchmarks and its slightly higher than the GTX460; once things settle I’ll have a look at OC’ing.

Back and ready to kick ass.

February 28, 2011
12:36 pm
Lowie
mOoshou Clan Member
Forum Posts: 154

welcome back dude 8)

Forum Timezone: Australia/Sydney

Most Users Ever Online: 86

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Apollo-Godz: 882

brissy: 805

Cambo: 762

Omegamon: 545

MrDarkDevel: 497

L-jae: 449

koopsAus: 410

Lipton: 365

TR1ALZ: 299

heffolump: 238

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 163

Moderators: 0

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 19

Topics: 973

Newest Members:

Administrators: B00G3r: 1570, Externalz: 2754, mooshou master: 11, sonik360: 1962, Wizard of Sorrow: 2383